Slider

Dog Days

July 27, 2012

They are here.  The dog days of summer. 

You know, I never knew where that saying came from until I looked it up... on Wikipedia no less.

"Dog Days" (Latindiēs caniculārēs) are the hottest, most sultry days of summer. In the Northern Hemisphere, the dog days of summer are most commonly experienced in the months of July and August, which typically observe the warmest summer temperatures. In the Southern Hemisphere, they typically occur in January and February, in the midst of the austral summer. The name comes from the ancient belief that Sirius, also called the Dog Star, in close proximity to the sun was responsible for the hot weather.

But this post isn't about summer, or days, or Wikipedia.  It's just about dogs.  Well, my dog.  Since I just joined Sunday Hatch, I didn't get to participate in "Dog Week" several months back.  Our Jack Russell/Beagle mix pup is such a HUGE part of our lives, I thought you should meet him properly.


And it's fitting, too, because Wednesday was Oscar's 5th birthday, and it made me reflect on all the adventures we've had in the past five years. You see, the Hubs and I adopted Oscar (aka Mr Dog) a mere two months after we started dating. Commitment had been established, but I don't think either of us really thought about what we were doing when we adopted a dog. I do seriously believe that Oscar kept us together through some of the tougher times before we were married.  

One Saturday towards the end of September 2007, I proposed that we visit the animal shelter in Lexington, KY where we were living at the time, "to see the puppies!" Tim was so innocent, he had no idea what that meant. To be fair, I don't think I had any intention of coming home with a dog, but as the story always goes... there "Lucky" was, with his little kennel cough and his huge eyes saying "love me! pick me! I'm yours."  And he was.

Oscar at 8 weeks.
And come on... I'm doubtful that anyone could have resisted that puppy face! We have been pretty much obsessed with him ever since. He's been on almost every trip we've taken together as a couple, especially road trips, and moved from Kentucky, to Texas, to Washingon, DC, and back again.


And he loves to be included in everything we do, big or small, important or insignificant. Which is why we knew he had to be Tim's "Best Dog," at our wedding. He fulfilled his duties perfectly.


And looked quite handsome in his bow tie, I must say.


And of course we're biased, but we admit he's not entirely perfect. I mean, after all, he is a mouth-breather.


And he always unmakes the beds after I've spent a good bit of time making them up. Grrrr.


And he's more than a little bit lazy. . .  and somewhat of an exhibitionist.


But he's ours.  And we love him.



Thanks for meeting Mr. Dog.



 As always, you can join me the other days of the week at alittlewhitenoise.

1 comment:

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan